Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Anticipation

Written by: Jessica Russo

There has been an underlying solemn mood in my 8-year old son (Bryce) the past week and I could not pinpoint the problem until last night it hit me: Anticipation. His little mind is stirring with anticipation of the quickly approaching first day of school. The strange thing about it is he is excited to see his friends again but the negative thoughts of schoolwork, embarrassment, and overall struggle of last year is far outweighing any positive anticipation.

The term anticipation is defined as: 1. The act of anticipating. 2. An expectation. 3. Foreknowledge, intuition, and presentiment. I have always thought of the word as having a positive connotation. The bible uses it as a positive outlook of hope and excitement. Revelation 16:15 promises a blessing for those who are watching for the Lord with anticipation: "Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches."

On the flip side of the word there can also be a negative anticipation. I remember as I studied for my Real Estate Broker exam, the more I prepared and anticipated the test the more nervous I became. Although I knew I was fully prepared for what awaited me I was still consumed with fear.

As for my little man starting school, his anticipation has led to worry, worry to fear, and fear to self-doubt. This is the form of anticipation that can sneak in and overwhelm you before you even realize it. The bible speaks against this negative anticipation in Matthew 6:34: “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

As I researched a bit on this topic I came across a quote that I love:

If pleasures are greatest in anticipation, just remember that this is also true of trouble.
-Elbert Hubbard

So true! When planning a vacation or trip of some kind our mind can get an exaggerated excitement in anticipation for that event, that the event itself could never live up to our expectation, and leaves us disappointed every time.

Also, when we are negatively anticipating a test or performance of some kind our mind will develop an exaggerated worry or fear for that event that could leave us feeling foolish for ever worrying about it in the first place.

The lesson I have learned through this is that we are not to anticipate the things of this world. We are only to anticipate the return of our Lord and his promises and blessings revealed to us. These are the thoughts, plans, and hopes that will sustain our peace and happiness on this earth.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

As the children begin making preparations for school in a few weeks I pray for their Strength to face adversity, Courage to defend righteousness, Confidence to believe in themselves, Motivation to develop their minds, a Servants Heart toward others, and a perfect peace only our Heavenly Father can provide.

May we anticipate things not of this world but of Him, His plan, His promises, His blessings, and His peace.

Blessings,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!